Git 1.7.1 is Not Supported by Stash
When trying to install Stash on a Linux based server, the following error message is reported:
The minimum supported version of git is 1.7.6. You are using 1.7.1. Upgrade git and restart Stash to enable git support.
Stash requires atleast Git 1.7.6, but Linux systems come with Git 1.7.1 pre-installed.
Stash relies very heavily on the command line options to git commands (such as git log, git ls-tree, etc) and on the git client for handling them. To help avoid exposing bugs in the git client as bugs in Stash, Stash cannot support earlier versions of Git. Doing so would add considerable maintenance overhead for the product, as well as provide differing levels of quality to the product.
Here are some resources for installing Git 1.7.6 on a Linux server:
- Get one of the RPMs from here: http://pkgs.repoforge.org/git/
- To ensure it links with the libs installed on your server, build it from source: https://github.com/git/git
- Upgrade your Git version using the following instructions: http://www.mocker.org/tag/git/
- For Centos specific steps, this guide would be helpful http://akyl.net/how-install-latest-version-git-centos-63
- A comment posted by a customer on our online forums: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/52498/stash-requires-git-1-7-6-but-rhel6-comes-with-git-1-7-1?page=1#86674