Slow performance and insufficent memory JRE errors with virtualized Jira server
- It takes forever to access a JIRA page a short while after JIRA is started.
- Memory seems to be used up very fast, even though it never reaches -Xmx.
- Garbage Collection(GC) takes a very long to finish.
Sample GC Viewer:
- JIRA is installed in a Virtual Machine(VM) using VMWare.
- When JIRA is unresponsive, attempting to stop it results in the following error in the terminal:
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: INFO: os::commit_memory(0x0000000083000000, 1398276096, 0) failed; error='Cannot allocate memory' (errno=12) # # There is insufficient memory for the Java Runtime Environment to continue. # Native memory allocation (mmap) failed to map 1398276096 bytes for committing reserved memory. # An error report file with more information is saved as: # /tmp/hs_err_pid2660.log The stop command failed. Attempting to signal the process to stop through OS signal. Killing Tomcat with the PID: 1929 The Tomcat process has been killed.
Memory Reservation is not enabled for the VM, preventing JIRA from getting sufficient memory allocated for it in a timely manner.
Enable Memory Reservation for the VM.
Set the minimum and the maximum memory to the same amount as per Increasing JIRA Memory.