Customizing view settings
You can customize the view settings of your plan, to make it easier for your audience to consume the data in your plan. By customizing the view settings, you can make your timeline display the right information, with the right visuals for you and your audience.
In the sample plan below, both group by and color by settings are used at the same time, i.e. group issues by project and color issues by status.
The following options are available in the new experience:
Group issues into separate swimlanes by assignee, project, or team. This helps you quickly see the buckets of work in their allocated swimlanes.
Sample plan, with issues grouped by assignee
Color issues by status, team, or label, or by the corresponding values of any single-choice select and multiple-choice select custom fields being used in the plan.
Specifically when coloring issues by label, there are a few considerations to keep in mind. See Coloring issues by label for more details.
Sample plan, with issues colored by status
Customizing the view settings
- In your plan, click the View settings drop-down.
- As needed, select which settings to use, for any of the following options:
- Group by, to group issues into separate swimlanes by assignee, project, or team.
- Color by, to color issues by status, team, label, or by the corresponding values of any single-choice select and multiple-choice select custom fields being used in the plan.
Note that after customizing the view settings, you can still interact with the issues in the plan, e.g. dragging and dropping issues, or assigning issues to teams.
Coloring issues by label
Before you begin, note that the labels should already be existing in your Jira instance. See Editing and collaborating on issues to know how to create and use labels in your Jira issues.
To set a color for a label in a plan:
- In the roadmap view of the plan, click View settings.
- From the 'Color by' menu, select Label. The options for label colors will be displayed.
- Click + Add color. A color palette will be displayed.
- Select a color.
- Click the 'Choose label' menu to display the available labels in your Jira instance.
- Choose a label for the color.
Some notes when using labels:
- The gray color is reserved for all other issues that are not using any labels. This means that if TIS-123 does not have any labels, then the schedule block for TIS-123 will be colored gray in the timeline section of your plan.
- Issues that have multiple labels will also be displayed in multiple colors, i.e. the epic TIS-4 below:
Coloring issues by single-choice and multiple-choice select custom fields
In your Jira instance, there may be options configured that are not appearing when you're setting colors in your Portfolio plan. This is because even if the options do exist in Jira, you can only set colors to the options that are being used in your plan.
For instance, you may have Change type as a single-choice select custom field, with normal, standard, and emergency as its options. Let's say the issues in your plan are set to only normal and standard. Because emergency is not used by any issues in your plan, you can then only set colors for normal and standard.
Change type single-choice select custom field, with emergency not appearing as an option
Managing labels and colors
You can manage the labels and colors being used in your plan, to help your audience visually assimilate the data in your plan at a glance.
For example, you have the following view settings configured for your plan:
With these view settings configured, you can do any of the following as needed:
|Assign multiple labels to a color||
In the example above, PLAT-1 has the UX and business-teams labels, and these labels are assigned to the color blue. The schedule block of PLAT-1 will then be colored blue.
|Remove a label from a color||
|Reset the labels assigned to colors||
Over time, you may find yourself needing to reset and start configuring the colors and labels in your plan from scratch. To do this, click Clear all colors.