Rename system fields in Jira server
You cannot rename standard, out of the box fields in JIRA. This includes filelds like Summary, Description, Labels, Versions, etc.
This process is intended for JIRA versions 4.4.x+ and is not officially supported.
Modify a Language Pack to carry the values you want then install.
- Go to Atlassian Translations
- Download the appropriate Language and version you are looking to modify
- Unpack the JAR file
- Navigate to <Language_Pack_Unpack>/com/atlassian/jira/web/action
- Open JiraWebActionSupport_<LANGUAGE>.properties
- You can zip the contents then just change the extension to .jar
There is a Atlassian Labs in-JIRA translation add-on that can help you to customize more quickly and safely that the method listed above.
This is a beta product and is officially supported by Atlassian. For any feedback, please raise a ticket here.