Back up a Site
You can back up Confluence at any time by performing a full site export.
- We don't recommend you rely on XML backups as your main backup method. Instead, you should regularly back up your database, installation directory, and home directories. See Production Backup Strategy for recommended methods.
- Marketplace and user-installed apps are not included in the XML backup, however their data is. After restoring your site export file into a new Confluence site, you'll need to re-install all apps that are not bundled with Confluence as the
plugindatatable is not exported in this kind of backup.
- You can't restore (import) an XML backup file into an earlier version of Confluence. Backward feature compatibility is not supported.
- You can't restore an XML site backup file into Confluence Cloud either. Use the Confluence Cloud Migration Assistant app to do this. This is pre-installed with your Confluence installation.
What’s included in a site backup (export)?
A site backup includes, but is not limited to:
- 添付ファイル (オプション)
- draft pages and blogs
- user and groups
- アプリ データ
Basically, it’s everything on your site except user-installed apps.
Create the site backup (export)
サイトの XML エクスポートを作成するには、
- Go to > Backup and restore > General Configuration
- Select Back up site or spaces
- In the Create a backup screen:
- Select Site
- Give your XML export a file name prefix. Confluence will add a time stamp and unique identifier to the end of this file name. If this field is left blank, the file will be assigned a default prefix and time stamp, for example,
- Select Save permanently if you want your file to remain in the
<confluence-home>/restore/sitefolder. Otherwise, the backup will be deleted in 72 hours by default to maintain storage capacity. You can change the storage time by configuring the system property
confluence.backuprestore.backup.ttl-in-hours. See Configuring System Properties to learn how.
- Select Include attachments to include attachments in your backup
- Select Back up
- You will receive a confirmation message, select Back up now to start the task
This process can take some time for large sites.
Retrieve the site backup
Once the back up is complete, you can download the XML backup zip file by selecting the file name. This download link will remain active for 72 hours by default, unless you have chosen to save permanently.
Confluence will create your XML backup zip file in your
<home-directory>/restore/site folder, where your <
shared-home-directory for Data Center, and
home-directory for Server. See Confluence Home and other important directories for more information.
You'll need access to the Confluence server in order to retrieve this file this way.
Restore (import) the site backup
There are some restrictions on which Confluence versions you will be able to import this file into. The most important is that you can't import into an earlier version of Confluence or to Confluence Cloud. See Restore a Site for more information and troubleshooting tips.
Confluence can also be configured to automatically back up your data by performing a full site export at a scheduled time each day.