Changing a branch caused git to "refs/heads/ refs/tags/' exited with code 128 saying: fatal missing object"
The following symptom appears when editing or changing a branch/tag
'C:\Program Files (x86)\Git\bin\git.exe for-each-ref --sort=-objecttype --format=%(objecttype)%02%(refname)%02%(refname:short)%02%(objectname)%02%(*objectname) refs/heads/ refs/tags/' exited with code 128 saying: fatal: missing object 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000 for refs/heads/8ad682bdd88a2c8318bc3a03e28a3479/Microsoft.Build.Framework.ni.dll
The error exist is because the causing file in .git/refs/[head|tag]/<file> exist in Bitbucket Server's filesystem but the remote ref is broken.
[heads|tag] could refer to either a branch or a tag
To resolve this issue you would need to do the following:
- Identify the repository ID for the affected branch by accessing the settings on that repository and look under "Location On Disk". The number at the end of the path would be the repository ID interested
- Access Bitbucket Server's repository with that ID which can be found here
- Continue navigating though the directory
refs/[heads|tag]/<name>where the error complains about the missing
- Check for the presence of the file the error was interested with. (As an example to the above error, the file that we are interested would be
- Remove that file
Note that by removing this file, you will be removing that branch/tag from Bitbucket Server. You can recreate the branch/tag again by pushing back a local content back to Bitbucket Server
- If present, locate the same line ( refs/[heads|tag]/<name> ) in the file
/data/repositories/<repository-id>/packed-refsand remove only that line.
- Restart Bitbucket Server instance