A program is a high-level view that helps you track status and progress across multiple plans in Portfolio for Jira. Programs let you see how deliverables and releases align across work streams, and aggregate scope data into high-level scope tables and schedule views.
Programs and plans are different in the sense that they display information at different levels of granularity.
The information contained in plans can be too granular when you just want to keep track of work that's across multiple teams.
Programs, on the other hand, give you a high-level view of work across multiple plans. By configuring your program to use information contained in a single or multiple plans, your program then provides an overview of how individual teams are tracking towards your initiatives.
If you're the program-level manager in your team, programs can help you:
- Get visibility across multiple work streams, and efficiently monitor progress for high-level deliverables at a glance
- Use a single source of truth, from which you can share and communicate a clear picture of where work is at, with insights on the progress and status of initiatives
- Effectively bridge the gap between your company's high-level business priorities and the actual execution of your development teams
You can also add existing plans that are using the improved interface to a program. When doing so, note the following:
- The end date of a plan's timeline will be the latest possible target date from the issues assigned.
- In the scope view of a program, the target dates of the issues in a plan will be shown as the scheduled start and scheduled end dates.
- In the schedule view of a program, the schedule will be handled in this priority: Target dates first, then sprints, and then releases.
- Once a plan that's using the improved interface is added to a program, the Calculate button in the schedule view will change to Sync.
Caveats when using programs
While using programs, you may have some ideas on how we can improve the feature — click the feedback link in any program page to send ideas and suggestions. To know more about using programs in Portfolio for Jira, see Creating and deleting programs.
Note the following caveats when using programs:
For a program to display aggregated data from plans, make sure all changes are committed across both Jira and Portfolio for Jira.