Status and progress tracking
This page refers to Portfolio classic plans. If you are currently running Portfolio 2.0, please check this link to access the latest page version.
How to configure the progress tracking options
To set the progress tracking options:
- Select your Portfolio plan.
- In the view bar, go to Plan > Configure and select the Progress tab located under DATA.
- Select the progress tracking option for your plan.
- Select one of the following progress tracking methods:
How to view progress and status in the backlog
The progress and status columns in the backlog allow you to see the progress of your plan items.
- Issue Status - Only exists if the backlog item links to one or multiple JIRA issues. It shows the actual workflow status of these issues. In case of multiple issue links, an icon is shown for the status of each linked issue.
- Progress - Sum of work logs on the linked JIRA issue(s), as well as their child elements.
These columns are initially hidden in the backlog. Follow these steps to unhide them:
- Make sure that you have linked your backlog items to your JIRA issues. See Creating and linking issues.
- In your plan, select Backlog.
- Select > Progress or Issue Status to display the column(s) in the backlog.
Progress bars show the progress of any linked items in the backlog. If your active filters are hiding issues, the progress of those issues won't be represented in the progress bar.
If you want to unhide the issues go to Backlog > select your filter and disable it.
- When an epic or initiative is expanded, the bar shows the total progress of all the child stories. If the 'display un-estimated stories' option is set in progress tracking options, the progress bar is displayed as a grey bar that represents the ratio of unestimated items to the total number of items.
- Items with no progress are displayed as a faded grey line.
- Stories that are in progress show the percentage of progress completed as a green line.
Completed issues show a full green line.
Completed issues are hidden by default, go to More > Status to show the issues.
Unestimated items show a dark grey line.
To see the detailed progress of any item on the backlog click on the item's progress bar.
Progress tracking types
Time based progress tracking
The progress is calculated based on the time spent that is entered into the issue's work log in your JIRA application. If work time is logged for an issue, its progress is calculated as follows:
If no remaining effort is set, the original estimate is considered and the progress is aggregated as follows:
sub-tasks > stories > epics > initiatives.
Time based progress tracking is unavailable when planning units are set to story points, see Settings estimates with story points.
When an issue is set to resolved, it will be changed to 100% complete.
Set the progress bar to display any unestimated items.
Resolved issue count progress tracking
Progress is calculated based on the issue’s Resolution field and the progress of sub-issues.
Calculating progress for issues with child issues
If an issue have child issues, progress is calculated as follows:
Calculating progress for issues without child issues
If an issue does not have child issues:
- If the issue is resolved ( Resolution field is not empty), the progress is 100%.
- Otherwise, the progress is 0%.
Story point progress tracking
Story point progress is calculated from the estimates set in JIRA issues. The stories progress that don't have sub-tasks will be 0 until the issue is resolved, at which point it's progress will be 100% (complete). The progress of an epics is computed as:
You can choose to calculate story progress using time spent on issues and the remaining estimate, or you can calculate from resolved vs. unresolved subtask count.
- Compute story progress using sub-tasks
- Use time spent and remaining estimate
- Calculate from resolved vs. unresolved sub-task count
- Set the progress bar to display any un-estimated items..
How to check the progress in the graphical schedule
Progress information can be displayed in the graphical schedule. Particularly in the epics view, it is helpful to view it relative the marker representing 'today'
If you want to show the progress in the graphical display:
- Select your Portfolio plan.
- Go to located in the lower side if the screen, and then select .
- Check Show Progress.