Note that this page only applies if you are using the Classic Boards
(which are no longer being actively developed; read more
If you are not, please see Transitioning an Issue
The Classic Task Board allows you to easily transition issues in a particular version along a JIRA workflow by dragging and dropping cards between workflow statuses.
To transition issues in GreenHopper Classic,
- Log into JIRA.
Select Agile > Classic in the top navigation bar. Then select Classic Task Board from the drop-down below the project name.
- Select your project from the project dropdown (top left of the Task Board above the 'Task Board' dropdown), if it is not already selected. The Task Board will refresh with information for your project.
- In the 'Version' dropdown, select the version which contains issues that you want to transition.
You will not be able to select 'Unscheduled' or any released versions in the 'Version dropdown'.
- Transition an issue by dragging and dropping the card between the columns on your Task Board as desired.
You will only be able to transition issues if you have permission to move issues to the status in the JIRA workflow to which the column is mapped.
- Fill out the transition card, if it is shown. A transition card will be shown if:
- The destination column is associated with more than one status — The possible transitions will be in the transition card. Select the desired workflow action. You can also optionally add a comment for this transition.
- The (JIRA) transition screen requires some mandatory fields — The mandatory fields will be in the transition card. Fill out the fields as required. You can also optionally add a comment for this transition.
Tip: If you want to always display the comment field on transitions, simply ask your administrator to set the 'Issue Type' as a required field on your transition screen. For details please see the JIRA documentation on Configuring Workflow.
- The issue status will be updated immediately, once you have dropped it into the destination column.
If you are not the assignee of an issue, you might not be able to transition that issue on the Task Board, since permissions for transitioning issues in JIRA typically differ between assignees and other users. In such cases, you must first assign the issue to yourself before you can transition it on the Task Board. Alternatively, you can automate this process by selecting the 'Auto assign' option in the Task Board section of your User Preferences.
Dragging and Dropping Cards
Screenshot: Dragging and dropping a card
It is not possible to drag and drop multiple cards on the Classic Task Board.
If you have a large number of issues that cannot fit into one column on a page, you can move an issue(s) between pages a column by dragging the card/row up to the pagination controls (e.g. '1', '2', '3', '>>', etc, which appear at the top of the relevant column) and then onto the page in the desired location. Be aware that if you have too many issues to display on the Task Board, you will need to configure your Task Board context to reduce the number of issues displayed.