Configuring the planning interface
If you're using the latest version of Portfolio for Jira, we recommend that you consider using the improved planning interface.
With the redesigned planning interface, we've improved the following functionality:
- Planning and viewing work: You now have a timeline right next to the issues in your plan. Beside each issue in your plan, line by line, is a corresponding schedule bar, which displays when an issue starts and ends in your roadmap. To schedule work, you can manually set the dates for the issues, or manually drag and drop the bars in your timeline accordingly.
- Auto-scheduling your plan: Aside from setting dates and manually scheduling issues, you can also choose to auto-schedule the work in your plan, based on known issue details. You can then choose to accept or discard the suggested changes as needed.
Enabling the planning interface
As long as you're running Portfolio for Jira (version 3.0 and later), any newly created plans will have the interface enabled by default. However, for plans that have already existed before upgrading to version 3.0 or later, you'll need to enable the interface in your individual plans. Your plan will not get the interface until this is enabled in the plan itself.
Other things to note:
- We recommend that you use the latest version of Portfolio for Jira so you get the latest and greatest features.
- We highly recommend you use Chrome or Firefox as your browser.
- By default, target start and target end dates are used when scheduling and auto-scheduling issues in a plan. You can choose to use due dates and other custom dates (date picker type) to schedule issues.
- In your plan, click more () > Try the improved interface. The planning interface page will be displayed.
- Click Enable improved interface to switch on the new interface for your plan.
- For newly created plans and existing plans where the improved interface is enabled for the first time, the following will take place by default:
- The plan will display issues starting from the highest hierarchy level that has at least 2 issues. If the plan has at least 2 issues at the highest initiative level, then it will display issues starting with initiatives.
- If the plan has only 1 issue at any level above epics, then the issues will be displayed starting at the epic level.
- The issues are displayed to fit the width of the timeline, based on the earliest start date, earliest release, latest end date, and latest release of all issues in the plan.
The target start date, target end date, and status columns will be displayed in the fields section.
You can change these details and settings any time moving forward. See Displaying issue details for more information.
- To stop using the new interface in a plan, from the plan configuration page, click Planning interface > Disable improved interface.