Using the timeline
This page discusses the usage of Portfolio for Jira live plans (any version from 2.0 to 2.27). If you're using the redesigned planning interface, see the following pages instead:
The timeline shows the results of resource calculation and forecasting, and these results are based on the data in your plan. The timeline essentially provides visibility into your plan's forecasted release dates, as well as how your teams, members, and other resources are allocated across your work items. Epics and stories are scheduled accordingly on the timeline, and details and bottlenecks are highlighted as well.
In the sample Quarter 3 plan below, note the following details:
- The work items are displayed by the epic hierarchy level
- The schedule view settings are configured to display:
- the sprints in Jira
- work items grouped by person — in this case, grouped by Bob
|1||The orange dashed line indicates the current day, which is 4th January 2018|
Sprints in Jira, which are PERF sprint 1 and PERF sprint 2
Light blue bars on work items indicate dependencies between work items in the backlog:
This is the release line, which spans the time period during which the work items in your plan are scheduled.
Show more details...
Configuring the schedule settings
When viewing items in the schedule view, you can use additional settings so you can view only the items you need in your plan.
The following table discusses the available schedule settings in a plan:
|グループ化||Group work items by teams, people, labels, or components|
Choose to show work items in a single color, or by the colors assigned to themes
|拡大||Zoom in and out accordingly|
|空のリリース||Show or hide empty releases|
|スプリント||Display the timeline as filtered by sprint color. When you click the sprint name, you'll see the sprint capacity availability and usage. Learn more about the capacity view.|
|依存関係||Show indicators on work items that have dependencies|
To configure schedule settings:
- In your plan, go to the Scope, Teams, or Releases view. This will display the timeline of the plan, according to the view selected.
- Next to the Schedule dropdown, click to display the schedule settings.
- Configure the schedule settings as needed.
Updating the timeline
Whenever you make changes to your plan, we recommend you click Calculate so that these changes are reflected in your plan. If you're happy with the changes made, make sure to commit these changes back to your Jira instance.
The teams in the plan must be assigned to boards as issues sources.
- Go to your plan > Teams > select the board you want to use as an issue source.
- Click Calculate to refresh the timeline.
- In the schedule section, click > Sprints checkbox.