Categorizing backlog items by theme
This page refers to Portfolio classic plans. If you are currently running Portfolio 2.0, please check this link to access the latest page version.
You can categorize backlog items by themes to see what piece of work corresponds to which strategic goal at any time.
Assign a theme to a backlog item by following these steps:
- Go to Backlog and select an epic or an initiative.
- Select the column theme and choose from the list the theme you want to assign to the item.
Keep in mind that the following rules apply:
- A story can be assigned to exactly one theme; otherwise, it wouldn't be possible to determine the allocation percentages of estimates accurately.
- When assigning a theme to an epic or initiative with child elements, the theme is implicitly assigned to all child items.
- If the child items of an epic or initiative have different themes, the parent item displays all different assigned themes, with only a color indicator.
If you want to know more about themes check Creating and configuring themes.