This page discusses the usage of Advanced Roadmaps live plans. If you're using the redesigned planning interface, see this page instead.
A sprint is a short period of time (ideally two to four weeks), during which a development team implements and delivers a discrete product increment.
If your Scrum team uses a Jira board as the issue source for a plan, the sprint management feature of Jira lets Advanced Roadmaps automatically detect and pull in the sprints that you create in Jira. Advanced Roadmaps will also suggest that you assign certain issues to certain sprints. If the work doesn't fit into the sprints from Jira, will generate extra sprints.
You can assign issues to sprints in Advanced Roadmaps from:
- the scope view
- the timelineAdvanced Roadmaps
Before you assign issues to sprints, make sure to:
- create sprints in Jira first
- use a Jira board as the issue source for your plan
- assign the board as the issue source for one of your teams
- set the timeline to show sprints, from the schedule settings of your plan
- set the timeline to the grouping of either team or person, from the schedule settings of your plan
You won't be able to see the option to assign issues...
- for stories that stretch across multiple sprints
- for epics that appear in the story schedule view
- if the issue is already added to the sprint that you selected
Assigning an issue to a sprint from the scope view
- In your plan, click the Scope tab to display the scope table.
- In the scope table, click the icon > select Teams to make the Teams column display.
- Expand the details for teams by clicking the Teams column name. This will display two (2) more columns, Members and Sprints.
- From the sprint column, hover over the issue > click the sprint menu that appears.
- Select the sprint to which you want to assign the issue.
Note that if you assign an epic with child issues to multiple sprints, the child issues will be automatically assigned to the selected sprints.
- Click Calculate to recalculate your plan.
Assigning an issue to a sprint from the timeline
You can only assign an issue to a sprint from the timeline...
- for actual agile sprints that have been imported from Jira
- if the issue is of the story issue type
- if the issue is set to Calculate in the Sprint column of the scope table, and the issue has an estimate that's smaller than the available capacity of the team
- if you've set the timeline to show sprints, from the schedule settings of your plan
- if the schedule settings of your plan is set to the grouping of either team or person
To assign an issue to a sprint from the timeline:
- In the timeline of your plan, click the name of the sprint. The capacity details and a suggestion for issue assignment for that sprint will be displayed.
- Click Assign x calculated issues. The issues will be automatically assigned to that sprint.