Configuring team settings
You can configure the scheduling methodology, and the velocity or the weekly capacity of the teams associated with your plan. Scheduling methodology refers to the Agile methodology your team follows. It can be Scrum or Kanban and it will impact how Portfolio handles issues. Learn more about Agile
Configuring the scheduling methodology of a team
Go to Portfolio > and select your plan.
Click the Teams tab to display the teams section below the timeline.
- In the teams section, find the team whose settings you want to configure, then expand the team to view its details.
- In the upper-right section of the selected team, you see either Scrum or Kanban depending on your selection. The team type you have available (it can be either Scrum or Kanban), is based on the board type each team is connected to in Jira.
- Scrum, if the team works in sprints or fixed iterations, then specify the number of weeks that comprise a sprint. If you want to define the default value for your sprints, see Change your plan unit.
- Kanban, if the team works in a continuous schedule.
If your plan uses story points for estimation, the Kanban option won't be available. See Change your plan unit to learn more about changing the planning unit of your plan.
- Recalculate your plan and commit the changes to your Jira instance once you're happy with the changes.
Configuring team velocity
Velocity is a measure that shows the amount of work a team can complete during an iteration. In Portfolio, the team's velocity is calculated as an average of the amount of work the team has been able to complete in the past five work iterations.
If you're using story points for estimation, you will see the following details about your team:
The team velocity that's forecasted for the next few sprints, based on:
Configuring weekly capacity
The weekly capacity of your team is the total sum of the weekly hours of each team member. You can configure the weekly hours of each member in your team, to get your team's overall weekly capacity.
To configure weekly hours of a team member:
- In the Teams section, from the Weekly hours column, click the row of the team member whose hours you want to configure.
- Enter the weekly hours for the team member.
- Press the calculate button to recalculate your plan.
If you add the same team member to multiple teams in a plan, you need to manually divide and specify their weekly capacity across the teams.
In the following case, Leo Ferragamo was working exclusively for the Android team and had 40 hours worth of work assigned to the team. When you add a member to a new team, Portfolio assigns by default, the sum of work hours each person has has available per working day. You can configure the default working hours and days by going to > Configure > Working hours and days.
He is now required to work across the Android and the iOS team. When we add Leo to the new iOS team, Portfolio has automatically assigned 40 hours to Leo to iOS on top of the 40 hours he already had in the Android team and for this reason, we've manually updated his available time in both teams so he can divide the 40 weekly hours between the two teams.