Set up Jira Ops
Installing Jira Ops
- In your Jira instance, go to > Site Administration > Discover applications.
Search for Jira Ops and install the app.
All the existing users in your instance will get added to Jira Ops automatically.
Once you've installed the product you can find it via Jira Home > Projects > select the incident project.
When you open Jira Ops for the first time, you land on a configuration wizard. All the tasks on the list are optional, and you can always skip, and configure them later. However, we recommend that you complete the steps to make the most out of Jira Ops. To complete the onboarding tasks you'll need:
- A Slack account.
- A Statuspage account.
- Access to either Opsgenie, PagerDuty or xMatters.
- A list of services managed by your team.
Connect to Slack
To connect your Slack space:
- Click Connect.
- In the sign in window introduce your space name and click Continue.
- Enter your team space name and authorize Slack to confirm your identity.
You're all set up now.
How the Slack + Jira Ops integration works
- Once you've connected to Slack, you will be able to:
- Create a channel from the incident ticket - In the incident ticket, select Create channel, assign a room name, send invites to the members of the Slack space, check whether or not you want the channel to be private, and click Create channel.
- Send comments from the Slack room to the Jira Ops timeline - In the incident Slack channel, type: “/jira timeline” in the incident room followed by your message to have it sent directly to the incident timeline.
- Raise an incident from the Slack channel - In the Slack incident channel, type: “/jira incident”
Connect to Statuspage
To connect to Statuspage:
- Create an account or log in.
- Select the page you would like to connect to and click Connect page.
You're now good to go.
Connect to an alerting tool
To configure an alerting tool:
- Select your preferred alerting tool.
- Click Accept and install.
- Follow the configuration process prompted by the alerting app you chose.
Once you've set the app up, move on to the next step.
Set up your services
To create a list of services:
- Click Set up.
- Select Add services.
- To quickly introduce more than one service, check the box "Add another" and click Submit.
Every time you introduce a new service, you'll get a pop-up confirmation window.
- Once you've introduced all services, select Cancel to see the services list.
- To edit a service name select and change the name.
The services will show up in a dropdown list in the incident view, so you can add the affected services.
It isn't possible to delete services at the moment.
Raise an incident
To raise your first incident:
Select Raise an incident.
The incident is created as an incident issue type, and it's assigned to an automatically created project called Incidents.
- Fill in the incident fields, choose the severity level and select the affected services. The dropdown will show the services you created in step 4.
- Select Create to create the incident ticket.
Once you've created the incident, you'll land on the incident view page.