Create a postmortem
A postmortem is a written record of an incident that contains information such as incident impact, mitigation steps, root cause, and follow-up actions. The goals are to understand all root causes, document the incident for future reference, pattern discovery, and enacting effective preventative actions, to reduce the impact or likelihood of recurrence. Learn how we do postmortems at Atlassian.
How to create a postmortem
To create a postmortem in Jira Ops:
- Go to your incident project > select the incident you want to create a postmortem for, and fix it.
- Once you've fixed the incident, change the status to Resolved.
- A new postmortem section shows up.
Click +Create postmortem. If you don't have Confluence, a pop-up window will take you to the signup process otherwise, you'll create a postmortem. If you already have an incident management Confluence space, you'll have to select the parent page otherwise, a Confluence space and parent page will be created along with your first postmortem.
Confluence needs to be on the same site as your Jira instance.
Once the postmortem is created, you'll see a draft in Confluence. Part of the postmortem information such as details, summary, and timeline are pulled from the ticket so you can focus on the analysis.
The Confluence page timeline is pulled from the incident ticket and therefore when you make changes in the incident ticket timeline, the changes get reflected in the Confluence page.
- To start editing the Confluence page, select
- Once you've made the changes, don't forget to publish the page so everyone can see it.
To view a list of all issues that require a postmortem, go to All incidents > Pending postmortem.
How to skip a postmortem
- Once you resolve an incident, you can leave the postmortem for later. Postmortems that are not created immediately are marked as pending. Find pending postmortems under All incidents > Pending postmortems.
- If you prefer to skip the postmortem, you can select
- Once you skip a postmortem it will be marked as NOT REQUIRED. To undo this action, click Require postmortem.
Finding postmortems with JQL
- Find postmortems with status pending:
"postmortem status" = "pending"
- Find all skipped postmortems:
"postmortem status" = "skipped"
- Find incidents with postmortem:
"postmortem status" = "created"
- Find incidents with no postmortem yet (e.g. they haven't been resolved yet):
"postmortem status" IS EMPTY