Using JIRA for System Administration
Note: This content was created specifically for JIRA 3.x. While most of this information remains accurate for the latest versions of JIRA, some aspects may be out of date.
Some suggestions on using JIRA for system administration:
1. Create a single project called System Administration that holds all sysadmin-related issues.
2. Allow users to categorise their request using Issue Types. For example:
- Servers (may like to divide by location, eg New York Servers, etc)
3. Allow users to describe their request using Components for each issue type. For example:
- Give the Server issue type components that classify it as a Hardware, Software, New Application/Service, Version Upgrade, Remove Application/Service, Change Request.
- Give the Desktop issue type components that classify it under Hardware, Software, or Peripherals.
4. Allow users to describe their environment by using Custom Fields for specific issue types. For example:
- Give the Server issue type a multi-select list for each server.
- Give the VoIP/Phone issue type fields for the desktop environment, eg Operating System, VoIP client, VoIP version.
- Give the Desktop issue type fields to let people enter serial numbers and the physical location of their machines.