Upgrade fails to remove previous installation directory in Jira server
When attempting to upgrade JIRA it fails with the error "Error while attempting to remove the previous installation directory. Some files may be in use. Please close all related programs and try again.".
No errors are present in the
atlassian-jira.log as the error is thrown from the installer.
This is known to be caused by any of the following:
- Cause 1 :The JIRA installer either does not have the appropriate permissions to those directories. We have an improvement request raised for this under - JRA-63068Getting issue details... STATUS
- Cause 2 :The service has not stopped in time for the backup operation to begin.
- Cause 3 :Some other application or process is accessing the JIRA files and has locked them.
- Resolution for Cause 1: Ensure that user executing the installer has the appropriate permissions to the JIRA directory.
In a Unix system, you can run the following command in the JIRA home/installation directory to identify any files/directory which are owned by a different user
find . ! -user <username>
- Resolution for Cause 2: Stop the JIRA service prior to executing the upgrade.
- Resolution for Cause 3: Check that no applications are accessing those files during the upgrade process. In Windows, this can be done with the Process Explorer using Find as in the below example: