How to import a project from a Jira Server application to a Jira Cloud application
Project imports are not currently available for Jira Cloud. This article outlines one of the workarounds to provide this functionality.
As per Restoring a Project from Backup, the Jira Server applications need to run identical versions in order to import the project successfully (please check all the requirements). This means we may need to prepare two Jira Server applications for importing if your Jira Server application is not in the latest version available. To do this:
- Follow Migrating from Jira Cloud to Server to set up a staging Jira Server application, using the data from your Jira Cloud application. We'll refer this Server application as Staging Jira A from here.
- Create a backup of your current Jira Server application as detailed in Backing up data.
- If your current Jira Server application is the same version as the one set up in step 1, proceed to step 6. Otherwise, continue with the steps below.
- Set up a new instance of Jira Server, using the backup from step 2 to restore (and upgrade) the instance. Follow the guide in Upgrading Jira applications to do this. We're going to call this Staging Jira B.
- Once the upgrade is successfully completed, generate a backup for Staging Jira B.
- Follow the Restoring a project from backup guide to restore all the required projects from Staging Jira B to Staging Jira A using the backup that was generated.
Our Importing issues docs instruct how to take the data from Staging Jira A and restore it to the Jira Cloud application.
This will completely overwrite the Cloud application and erase all existing data.
If the history of the issue is not required, you might consider the option to FIZME Importing Data from CSV as outlined in How to prepare a database export for a CSV Import from a JIRA Server application to a JIRA Cloud application. Importing attachments may require several manual modifications to the CSV file.
- Projects from a Jira Cloud site to another Jira Cloud site: See How to migrate projects from one Jira Cloud application to another.
- All of your data from Jira Server to Jira Cloud: See Migrate from Jira Server to Jira Cloud.
There are some restrictions that apply here, namely Active Objects data (so anything stored by plugins such as Jira Service Desk or Agile) is not fully migrated. For example:
- Jira Service Desk cannot be migrated in a project import - this is tracked in - JSD-2741Getting issue details... STATUS .
- Jira Agile sprints and ranking data will only be migrated across in Jira 7 and higher. Boards will not be - this is tracked in - GHS-10577Getting issue details... STATUS .
No other data from apps will be migrated in project imports, please keep this in mind.
Stay up to date
There are two open requests to support project imports to Jira Cloud:
JRACLOUD-31806 - 課題詳細を取得中... ステータス