Drop-down Menus Stuck Open after Upgrading Confluence
After a Confluence upgrade, drop-down menus no longer collapse, despite moving the mouse away or clicking elsewhere. For example:
- This is usually caused by upgrading the JDK (usually from 1.6 to 1.7), as old information can still be cached.
- It can also be caused by a custom layout that is no longer compatible post-upgrade.
- Flush your plugin cache to clear any cached information from the previous JDK version.
- Check your customisations via Confluence Admin > Layouts
- Start with the Global Layout and Page Layout.
- If any are customised, copy the contents of them to a text file to save for later use
- Reset them to Default
Regardless of whether this works or not, now is a good time to review your customised layouts, so compare your customised layout to the current default one, and re-enter any customisations that you require (that do not cause the problem to recur).
A note on layouts - if they are customised, they will not be changed on upgrade, so as not to destroy your customisations. This can occasionally mean that layouts break post-upgrade, so rather than simply copy/pasting them back in after these steps, it's better to extract your customisations from the old layout and re-apply them to the new default layout.