HipChat limited connectivity in Bitbucket Server
On the global configuration screen for the HipChat integration the connection status is showing up as LIMITED
This is caused because HipChat cannot make a direct connection to Bitbucket Server.
There are three possible connection states
- NOT CONNECTED Bitbucket Server cannot make a connection to HipChat (https://api.hipchat.com/, or your HipChat Server instance).
- LIMITED Bitbucket Server can make a connection to HipChat but HipChat cannot make a connection back to Bitbucket Server.
- CONNECTED Bitbucket Server can make a connection to HipChat and HipChat can make a connection back to Bitbucket Server.
Bitbucket Server only sends notifications to HipChat and so will function correctly in LIMITED mode, however future versions of Bitbucket Server might require CONNECTED to offer full functionality.
There are two common causes of Limited mode:
- Bitbucket Server is behind a firewall that is preventing HipChat from being able to contact Bitbucket Server.
- HipChat was configured with the wrong base URL.
Bitbucket Server is behind a firewall
If you are hosting Bitbucket Server behind a firewall you won't be able to get Bitbucket Server into the CONNECTED state without putting Bitbucket Server on the other side of the firewall.
Because the current version of Bitbucket Server doesn't need HipChat to be able to connect to it you can leave Bitbucket Server operating in the LIMITED mode.
Bitbucket Server isn't behind a firewall
It is likely that the hostname HipChat is using to contact Bitbucket Server is wrong, You can check what hostname is being used by going to the integrations admin screen in HipChat https://www.hipchat.com/admin/addons, When you find Bitbucket Server in the list of addons you should be able to see the hostname of Bitbucket Server in the integration name.
If you weren't using a fully qualified domain name when you connected the integration HipChat will be trying to use that URL to contact Bitbucket Server.
To fix this you need to follow the instructions for changing your baseURL that HipChat is using that are documented here: Unable to log in to HipChat from Bitbucket Server