Moving your Bamboo data to a different database
You can move data to a different database by installing a new Bamboo instance and updating the settings. Alternatively, if the database systems are the same or compatible, you can move the data manually.
In the initial Bamboo configuration, the database can be set to:
- an internal H2 database (not recommended for production environments) OR
- an external database.
To move your Bamboo data to a different database:
- Export the data of the original Bamboo instance as described in Exporting data for backup.
Stop the original Bamboo instance.
You may have to disable automatic Bamboo start if the instance was configured to run as, for example, a Windows service.
Install a new Bamboo instance as described in Installing and upgrading Bamboo.
If you are installing a Bamboo instance on the same server, make sure that the new Bamboo instance doesn't have the same
<bamboo-home>paths as the original Bamboo instance. Using the same paths may result in data loss. For more information, see Locating important directories and files.
The import process performed in later steps later can be very memory intensive depending on the size of your import. New installations of Bamboo will come with default Java heap allocation configurations which may not be sufficient to perform the import at an appropriate speed.
If your Bamboo instance has been in use for long while before migrating and has become quite large, please be sure to tune / increase your Bamboo Java heap allocation before continuing: Configuring your system properties
- Start the new Bamboo instance.
In the Setup Wizard:
Make sure that the new Configuration Directory, Build Data Directory and Build Working Directory are not located in the same place as the original Bamboo instance directories.
- Select a new database:
Select Import existing data and specify the path to the file that you exported at the beginning of the procedure.
- Once the data is ready, restart the new Bamboo instance.
- Reindex the data as described in Reindexing data.
- Verify that your build results and system settings are correct.
Alternative DB migration
If the database systems are:
- the same (for example, you are moving from PostgreSQL to another PostgreSQL) OR
- compatible (for example, you are moving from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008),
you can move the data manually. To migrate the data:
- Stop the Bamboo instance that is using the source database.
- Manually transfer the data.
- Go to
<bamboo-home>and open the
- Provide the properties of the new database.
- Start the Bamboo instance.